Thursday, October 24, 2013

News Flash on Mission Project in Vietnam/Cambodia

THE JOURNEY OF FAITH WITH THE LANGUAGE OF LOVE
Starting the journey by coming home

Early morning of Oct 5th, 2013, the group of IFFAsia students and staff started our journey by entering the land of Vietnam.
We were warmly welcomed in the Parish of Fr. Joseph Tuan (Responsible of Children Ministry of Saigon Diocese, Chaplain of Eucharistic Youth Movement).

We could feel how much we were treated as a family and how much the church today is open to receive us. We are touched by their generosity to open the parish to us, to take care of all our needs without any condition.


Although we have different nationalities but we create a common unity that builds a community.

“They were so kind to us and would really accompany us whenever we needed. Sometimes, unexpectedly, they would just lend a hand for us.” – Jhimus (Philippines)

Witnessing Vietnam Church today
We’ve witnessed a very active and dynamic faith and church life in Vietnam. We saw how the people value their faith and participate actively in the church life. They have a systematic way of building the faith integrated in the person’s life. They make sure that the foundation is built from a young age as seen in the Sunday catechism classes.

The Youth encounter had been a good time to share and discover the life of young people in Vietnam.

“ I was amazed by the spirit of volunteerism of the people who are really actively participating in church activities.” – Evelyn (Malaysia)


“These people are young professionals and some are very young and committed.” – Angela

“Changes start from within”
Meeting also the NGO’s like Initiatives of Changes (IofC), One Body Village and the Businessmen Group showed us how to live mission and affect change in the society- no matter how small the step or action could be. The most important is the faithfulness to take the little steps. “Change start from within.” “Be a voice – lend a hand. Make a difference – Save a life” – a slogan from One Body Village that called us deeply.


“I was able to see weakness that I am not so aware of, that brings such impact on to the society. This experience helps me to be part of starting changes. Start the changes from me.” – Tugso (Mongolia)
“Before this I am easy to give up and often time run away from God. I cannot carry my cross, especially when I have any problem, I always complain to God. But today, I understand God loves me and always calls me to be joyful in God’s power.” – Evelyn (Malaysia)



“I was so afraid of taking the risk for my life. I felt that I have so many things that I cannot balance or handle anymore. Sometimes, it becomes so heavy for me. The time with IOfC, It encourages me to make change for my life. The opportunity is there.” – Suong (Vietnam)

“I am fully aware that I am on a mission, and I can’t contain myself on being the way I was, I should respect other’s culture and belief, I must put more effort to be more flexible, adaptive and interactive to the new community I am engaging with. I am not in my own world now, this is the new world I am dealing with, the world for understanding, world full of respect and compassion to one another and the world with sustainable peace and equality.” – Angela (Philippines)

Time with students’ family

We also spent a good time meeting the family of the students. Parents were very grateful of the changes they have seen in their children. What was also important in all these meetings and encounter was the witness we gave as Institute, the witness of the students of their transformation because of the formation… no matter how small it maybe when put together becomes a bright flame of witnessing God’s transforming love and action in our life.



As we ended the first part of Mission Project in Vietnam…

… what was strong are the words… ”we have pitched the flag of mission in Vietnam as Fondacio” and with the Church welcoming and ready to collaborate with us. We have proven ourselves as an Institute, in our sincerity to form their young lay leaders for the building and the moving forward of the church in Vietnam which today they are seeing the fruits of the difference they are making in the church and society. They are now more open to collaborate with us in whatever mission we are called to respond to in Vietnam.

Initiatives of Change (IofC) is a world-wide movement of people of diverse cultures and backgrounds, who are committed to the transformation of society through changes in human motives and behaviour, starting with their own, in the areas of trust – building, ethical leadership and sustainable living.

One Body Village (OBV) is an Organization which its vision mission are: To combat human sex trafficking in developing countries; to provide at risk children and survivors with shelter, medical and behavioural health care, educational assistance, and vocational training to improve their future.

No comments:

Post a Comment